WE LOVE TENNIS <3
Sofia Kenin also named Sonya is a Russian-born American professional tennis player and one of the few Americans to win a Grand Slam in recent years along with Sloane Stevens.
She made the achievement in 2020 at the Australian Open beating home favorite Ashleigh Barty and Spanish Garbiñe Muguruza to win the title.
Today, she seems like losing her touch on the courts as she drops outside of the Top 100 after ranking no. 4 in the world in 2020.
Nevertheless, she can still bounce back to her best level to win more than the 5 titles she has.
For playing style, she is an aggressive baseliner and one of the few female players using variations in her shots. For example, she has a great backhand slice and can disguise the directions of the shots effectively.
So, what does Sofia Kenin use for tennis equipment to play good tennis?
Sofia Kenin’s tennis gear is:
- Racquet: Babolat Pure Drive
- Strings: Babolat Hybrid RPM Blast 17 + Touch VS 16
- Shoes: Fila Axilus 2.0 Energized
- Bag: Babolat Pure Drive RH x12
Sofia Kenin’s Racquet
Sofia Kenin’s racquet is the Babolat Pure Drive.
It is endorsed by many pros on the circuit like Fabio Fognini or Garbine Muguruza.
The Pure Drive was introduced back in 1994 by Babolat to offer lots of power and feel for aggressive players.
The main feature of the new Babolat Pure Drive is the HTR technology standing for High Torsional Rigidity. This allows the racquet to be more stable and to generate explosive winners.
SWX PureFeel technology is incorporated in the lay-up of the racquet, for unique vibration dampening and filtering. It adds an incredible feel and a sweet sound on the strike. You can just watch some Fabio Fognini winners for pleasure!
In addition, the racquet swing speed is one of the lightest helping for better swing speed and power generation. The racquet is stiff with a score of 71.
No wonder why the Babolat Pure Drive line sold the most racquets for the French manufacturer. It is the choice of many players who seek smashing power and a great feel for the shots.
|Head size||100 in² / 645.16 cm²|
|Length||27in / 68.58cm|
|Unstrung weight||10.6 oz / 300 g|
|Strung Weight||11.2oz / 318g|
|String Tension||50-59 lbs|
|Balance||4 pts HL / 12.99in|
Sofia Kenin’s Racquet Strings
Sonya Kenin likes to string her racquet with the Babolat Hybrid RPM Blast 17 + Touch VS 16 strings.
It is a hybrid poly setup made from a combination of both the RPM Blast 17g (1.25mm) used by players like Rafa Nadal and The natural gut Touch VS 16g (1.30mm).
This combo provides everything a tennis player needs in a racquet.
- The RPM Blast component offers massive spin and control
- The Touch VS component provides power and feel as natural gut is the most comfortable on the hands.
Overall, this is an interesting string setup, not used by many players on the circuit, but perfect for having everything you need in your racquet.
Sofia Kenin’s Tennis Shoes
Sofia Kenin’s tennis shoes are the Fila Axilus 2.0 Energized.
These shoes are lightweight, supportive, and comfortable. They are also a heaven for women with wider feet.
Also worn by stars like Barty or Pliskova, the shoes are cushioned and sturdy for stability and comfort.
- The upper is lightweight, breathable, and features an anti-slide nylon lining for stability and support.
- The midsole is made from Energized rubber cushioning for foot support and shock absorption.
- The outsole is a durable and performant rubber backed by a 6-month guarantee, offering amazing traction.
- The shank is and arch-boosting sock liner providing comfort and support. It is one of the best shoes for tennis players suffering from plantar fasciitis.
Overall, just like the Babolat SFX line, this is a good pick for tennis players with wider feet, looking for agility and comfort.
Sofia Kenin’s Tennis Bag
Sofia Kenin’s tennis bag is the Babolat Pure Drive RH x12.
It is the bag that comes with the Babolat Pure Drive racquet line.
The bag is a solid choice for any tennis competitor making many trips and playing different tournaments.
Dimensions: 30″ x 16.5″ x 14″.
The main features of the updated version of the bag, are as follows.
- A maximum capacity of 12 racquets
- Three compartments, two of them feature Isothermal Protection. It prevents tension loss and frame damage
- Exterior vented pocket for shoes or wet clothing
- Large side accessory pocket and small molded pocket for small items
- Padded and adjustable straps for backpack style carrying
- Comfortable grab handles
- Amazing dark and light blue colors for a stylish look.
Read Also: Cori (Coco) Gauff’s Tennis Gear